Disclosure: I worked for the Lamont campaign doing web design and production and some writing for the official blog (from 9/5/06 to 11/07/06).

Monday, February 20, 2006

 

Welcome

Welcome to LamontBlog.

I hope this site will be a central clearinghouse for news and information relating to Ned Lamont's 2006 primary campaign vs. Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT). While this is certainly a pro-Lamont blog, be assured that this site is unfunded, unofficial, and unaffiliated with any campaign. (Any change to this will be noted prominently.)

A little about me: I am a resident of New York City who used to live in Connecticut and still spends a lot of time in the state, as well as a longtime (at least in blog-years) participant in the blogosphere (since before the 2002 midterm elections).

My username ("thirdparty") reflected my personal politics quite accurately in 2002 when I first chose it: alienation stemming from intense frustration with the national Democratic Party, going back all the way to President Clinton's triangulation and Al Gore's tepid campaign in 2000. This frustration culminated with the disgraceful abdication of principle and duty by so many congressional Democrats who voted to support the Iraq War Resolution in the fall of 2002, followed by the loss of the Senate in the midterms.

But due in large part to the blogosphere, my politics have changed since then. While I was never a koolaid-drinking supporter of Howard Dean, his campaign was inspiring for what it hinted was possible in terms of the potential of the netroots/grassroots. It nearly brought him the nomination, and then it nearly got John Kerry over the hump. November 2004 was devastating, and it took some time to recover. But I now considered myself a committed partisan Democrat, with a desire to change my party for the better.

Which brings us to Ned Lamont.

Opportunities such as this, both to change the party and to change the national conversation, do not arise often in politics. I hope to explain in detail in later posts why I believe Ned Lamont's candidacy presents just such a golden opportunity: why he should run, why he can win, and why the race itself will - win or lose - be a greatly positive exercise for both Connecticut and the nation.

I believe all of the above is true, and I believe achieving all of the above is possible.

For now, be sure to visit NedLamont.com to learn more about Ned's campaign, read this weekend's piece on the primary race in the Connecticut section of the New York Times, and read this great post on Ned by Matt Stoller of MyDD.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home