Disclosure: I worked for the Lamont campaign doing web design and production and some writing for the official blog (from 9/5/06 to 11/07/06).

Friday, June 02, 2006

 

Alitomentum

Via Political Wire, the WSJ's Washington Wire brings up something that will inevitably (and perhaps greatly) affect races across the country in the next few weeks - Alito is going to have his coming out party on SCOTUS:

Justices prepare to rule on series of controversial issues at close of first session under Bush’s new chief justice. Each side hopes that decisions, to be issued at 10 a.m. each Monday this month, will fire up ideological base as Republican and Democratic candidates square off for control of Congress.

Rulings are expected on military trials for Guantanamo detainees, Texas redistricting driven by DeLay, Vermont’s campaign-finance laws, and application of Clean Air Act. With O’Connor gone, close cases may turn on maverick Justice Kennedy, who has infuriated conservatives by citing international law and opposing a voter initiative challenging gay rights.


If any of these decisions are 5-4 with Alito in the majority (like last week's decision against the rights of government whistleblowers), Lieberman, more than any other candidate, will catch a huge amount of flak.

Lieberman, who refused to admit to his "pal" Sean Hannity that he actually stood by his (albeit meaningless) "no" vote on Alito:

HANNITY: ... by the way, I was mad at you at Alito, and one day I'm gonna pull you aside, and I believe in my heart, I really believe in my heart that if the president really needed your vote, you would have been there.

LIEBERMAN: (Sigh) Well, OK, you pull me aside and we'll talk. (Laughter)

HANNITY: Alright, you don't want to answer that publicly, do you?

LIEBERMAN: (Laughter) Cause I voted no.

HANNITY: I know you voted no but...

LIEBERMAN: But I did vote against the filibuster cause I thought that, you know, it was time to move on.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home