Disclosure: I worked for the Lamont campaign doing web design and production and some writing for the official blog (from 9/5/06 to 11/07/06).

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Six Hours Left

Just got back from pollstanding in Waterbury. Hot sun, friendly people. Voting is really a civic event in neighborhoods like this. People take their kids, old acquaintances see each other for the first time in a year or two.

The three Lieberman volunteers - young teenagers - at the polling place were dropped off by a van, and spent most of the afternoon sitting underneath a tree talking on their cellphones, ignoring the voters. I wish I had brought my camera. They must have enjoyed the paycheck.

I haven't had time to read the blogs or the news, but apparently Sen. Lieberman's campaign is now trying to make a last-minute big-time distratction by pushing the story of their website crashing. Tim Tagaris speaks for me, and I'm sure the entire pro-Lamont unofficial blogosphere, on this.

I do find it entertaining that suddenly the Lieberman campaign thinks their website is essential to their get out the vote strategy. The site was rarely updated, and not an integral part of their campaign at all.

Update: Matt Stoller sums up a must-read email he got from a technical contact:

Bottom line, it shouldn't have taken the Lieberman camp more than an hour to fix this.


I'm literally sick to my stomach that this is becoming an issue in this campaign. Having woken up at 4:30am this morning and volunteered nonstop since, perhaps it's a physical as much as an emotional reaction. But this race is about real, life-or-death issues. And to see those shoved aside once again, no matter who (if anyone) is at fault, for mindless media coverage of an issue like this at the last minute, makes me physically ill.

But I'm going to work that much harder for the rest of the day. This is too important.
Comments:
Whatever you may believe about whether Lamont or Lieberman is better, I invite you all to join me for a special Latin Mass for Joe.
 
I wouldn't worry about the website story much. I doubt it will sway many voters and it just makes Lieberman's staff look incompetent. The voters aren't as stupid as the mainstream media (they couldn't be and still breathe unaided).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home